Advisory Board Committee Member
John Butts, PhD – Land O’ Frost
In 2010 FoodSafetyByDesign, LLC. was founded to help producers of high risk products learn how to prevent and manage food safety risks. Risk identification and management by FoodSafetyByDesign incorporates root cause identification and development of preventative methodology. Dr. Butts’ specialty is the incorporation of Food Safety Practices into company culture. Preventative Controls have proven to be the most successful method to manage the risk of environmental pathogens. Root cause identification using the Seek and Destroy Strategy enables visualization of need. Interventions to manage high risk areas eliminate firefighting and the solving of the same problem over and over again. The company culture next moves into the preventative state and companies learn how to use data collected in their own facility to predict and prevent product contamination.
In the early eighties LOF entered the shelf stable meal business with retort pouches. Dr. Butts’ activities included:
- Responsible for Product Development, Process Improvement, and Quality Assurance.
- Serving as a host and liaison for a technical exchanges with a Japanese food manufacturing company
- Process control for the packaging of an enteric feeding solution
- Commercialization of a retortable, peelable and microwavable entrée tray
- Development of a proprietary sealing method to eliminate flange contamination as a critical factor for a hermetically sealed tray
Dr. Butts also provided technical and management support to Frigorifico Canelones, the largest beef processing plant in Uruguay, from 1991-2001. LOF owned and managed this business during this period.
Other Advisory Board Committee Members
Director, Safety Technical Services
Tyson Foods, Inc.